Part of the problem at Disney’s Hollywood Studios since the park reopened is that guests need to be in the park at exactly 10:00am in order to try for a Boarding Pass for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance. That is about to change. Starting on Tuesday, November 3, you will not need to be in the park in order to try for a Boarding Group! You will need to have valid admission and a Disney Park Pass Reservation to try. The Boarding Groups will open at 7:00am.
There will still be a second chance to get a Boarding Group. Disney will continue to reopen the system at 2:00 each afternoon. This part will not change, you and your whole party all need to be physically in Disney’s Hollywood Studios to try for the second time.
Disney Parks Blog has released this information. You can read it from the source here, plus I’ll copy/paste it below. There is one line from the post that confuses me. It states. “This can be done before you leave your Disney resort hotel, or wherever else nearby you might be at that time.” I’m not sure what the definition of “nearby” is. I don’t know if that means that I’ll be able to try from my home, since we don’t live far away. I hope it does, I’d hate to have to get up and drive onto Disney property before 7:00 when the park doesn’t open until 10:00.
The blog post also mentions that capacity on the ride has been increased. I told you all about that yesterday. Sorry to brag, but it makes me happy when I’m right.
If it works, this is a great idea. I’m curious to see what happens. I was able to get a Disney Park Pass reservation for November 4, so I’ll have a chance to try it out then! I’ll need to set an alarm, I’ll never remember otherwise.
Here’s the post from Disney Parks Blog:
Disney’s Hollywood Studios Piloting New Approach to Virtual Queue for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance
by Jeremy Schoolfield, Managing Editor, Walt Disney World Resort Public Relations
It’s clear the Force is strong with Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Since its debut last year, this spectacular experience inside Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge has proven to be one of the most popular attractions at Walt Disney World Resort.
To better help guests visiting Disney’s Hollywood Studios plan ahead for their day at the park, we’re piloting a new approach to the virtual queue system for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance. Starting Nov. 3, 2020, here’s how it will work:
- Guests with a valid ticket or annual pass and a Disney Park Pass reservation for Disney’s Hollywood Studios will be able to access the virtual queue system and check for an available boarding group starting at 7 a.m. on the day of their park reservation. This can be done before you leave your Disney resort hotel, or wherever else nearby you might be at that time.
- Just as we do today, the virtual queue will reopen daily at 2 p.m. for anyone who wasn’t already able to join a boarding group earlier in the day. Note: Guests must be inside Disney’s Hollywood Studios to access this second virtual queue opportunity, and access to a boarding group is subject to availability and not guaranteed.
We’re hoping this new approach will make a day at Disney’s Hollywood Studios more enjoyable and relaxing, as guests no longer need to be inside the park each morning to request a boarding group for the first virtual queue opportunity. As a reminder, you need to be inside the park to request the 2 p.m. boarding groups.
To try to maximize the number of boarding groups we’re able to accommodate while adhering to current health and safety guidelines, we recently added a clear barrier between the two rows of seats on each First Order Fleet Transport vehicle inside the attraction. This enables us to invite more guests to board Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance each day.
The attraction’s virtual queue is only accessible via the My Disney Experience mobile app. To maximize your opportunity to secure a boarding group, here are some tips we recommend you check off your list prior to your day at the park:
- Register an account in My Disney Experience
- Download the My Disney Experience mobile app on your smart device or ensure you’re using the most updated version of the app before you arrive at the park.
- Link and assign all park tickets in your party to a My Disney Experience account
- Have a valid Disney Park Pass reservation for Disney’s Hollywood Studios for the day you’re visiting
- Select one member of your party to access the virtual queue for everyone in your group; if multiple people in your party try to join the virtual queue simultaneously, that may complicate your ability to secure a boarding group
- Remember, virtual queue boarding groups are limited and subject to availability
This new pilot approach to the Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance virtual queue is designed to give guests the best possible experience during a day at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to a galaxy far, far away.